Sunday, November 14, 2010

Because I'm a Music Major...

If you know me well enough, you know that typically the only time I run is if someone is chasing me with a weapon.  Or Justin Beiber.  I have, however, discovered a useful use for running.   Lately, the treadmill has saved me from more...creative outlets of my stress.  Since classical music relaxes me as well, I thought "Why not combine the two for optimal stress-busting action?".  This was a fantastic idea, until I realized that  my need to be conducting the symphony in me head is inevitable.  This would be fine, if I could keep the conducting in my head.  And I was.  Until I suddenly realized that I had been running for a good 20 minutes while full on conducting.  I noticed when I went to cue the French horns and hit my hand on my water bottle.   The gym was packed full of hardcore athletes, and I was conducting a symphony.  They probably thought I was trying to land a plane.  Based on the judgment in their eyes, I stuck out like a Trekky at an anime convention.   But I didn't care.  In the end, stress busting is more important than being judged.  Especially since there's no telling what would happen if I was left to my own devices to bust stress.   Sometimes you just need to conduct the music in your head. 

On a completely unrelated note, I double dog dare you to wear something crazy this week.  For instance, I'm a planning to wear a headband with a huge flower on it.  Why?  Just because.  It makes you feel amazing.  I also love curling my hair.  When my hair is curled, nothing can stop me.  Ok, a bullet probably could, but you get what I'm saying.  Do it. Keep me posted. 

5 comments:

  1. "I stuck out like a Trekky at an anime convention."

    As much as I love you for this simile, I'll have you know that Trekkies actually don't stand out at anime conventions (well, unless you're actually in Japan), and the people there simply appreciate your fellow geekiness.

    You know, just my advice as a recent anime-convention-goer.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. This is an incredible post. I mean, you may have just helped me unlock part of the key to my creative process. If I try to focus on writing, usually I fail. But if I just let myself be, surround myself with things that I love and do things that give me brainspace, it all comes to me.

    I just love this post. I'm pretty sure your words here are going to stick with me for a long time. So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley: you would :)

    Deanna: I'm so glad to inspire! You should definitely listen to the song "Die Vampires Die" from [title of show]. Thank you so much for you comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much wish I could have seen that. But somehow I'm having no trouble imagining it.

    I also wish I had a headband with a huge flower on it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have witnessed this run/conducting phenomena and it's hilarious! great idea though. we shall make our gym video one day...

    ReplyDelete