Dear Life,
It has come to my attention that you are imposing on my childhood more and more. The fact that my childhood ended last year does not mean that I don't have every intent of holding on to it. Truth is, I will always find immense joy in the things I enjoyed as a child; singing to strangers, dancing in public, crying too hard at movies, and huge brightly colored costume jewelry. These are basic human rights; food, water, shelter and costume jewelry.
Don't get me wrong, I love you. I really really do. At least you aren't boring. But as a precaution, I'm going to start allowing myself a haven of perpetual childhood. A celebration of the simple pleasures. A homage to the long ago days where who you sat next to on the swings at recess was a life changing decision. I am determined to not forget the things that will always make me truly happy. Things like dandelions, getting the first scoop of peanut butter, making ridiculous faces in public, and blueberry bagels. To these things there will always be a small part of me anchored.
Welcome to my ivory tower of irresponsibility.
Love always,
Sandylion
Sandra, this is awesome! Haha, i love your perpetual childhood mindset....more people need to be happy and not stress so much about being an 'adult'. The song "Young at Heart" comes to mind. keep up the happiness, and i look forward to reading your future blogs! be blessed, John
ReplyDeleteThis is why we get along (and for other reasons, I suppose). Keep writing :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so true. Our world now is filled with so many things that are unnecessary. Why can't adults be kids? Why can't we enjoy things kids enjoy? We've become so use to these small things that we don't even acknowledge how important they are. Great writing Sandra! Keep it reals girl!
ReplyDelete-Andrew
This is right on Sandra :) everyone needs to hold on to their inner child. Too ofent we get caught up in seemingly important things and need to get back to where we were...back when the most important thing we would do in a day was choose which color crayon to use.
ReplyDeleteHear Hear!
ReplyDelete*raises sippy cup*
Hmm I wonder where that costume jewelry fixation originated? ;)
ReplyDeleteBut seriously you are so right. This world would be so much less jaded if more people took this perspective on things.
It's very true! I'm way too self-conscious to do much singing in public, but savoring the little things is what is going to get us through this life. If you can't laugh a little and enjoy the first spoon of peanut butter (or the first spoonful of butter!), why bother?
ReplyDelete