Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Story of How Teen Girl Squad Saved My Week

Yesterday was a terribly stressful day.  You know those days where you are doing fine, but all the sudden reality comes over and tries to suffocate you with a pillow made of responsibility and trivial problems?  This is one of my fears.   I have many of them, some substantiated, some not, but all of them real.  I am afraid of snakes, being poked in the eye with an umbrella by a passing person (to the point I'll cross a street to avoid it), breaking my fingers, pain, unstable heights, and being a grown up.  Don't get me wrong...I am a firm believer that everybody has to grow up.  I don't think you should refuse to change, to accept each new stage of life.  I do, however, fear loosing touch with the magic of childhood.   I am simply not happiest when I'm repressing my wide-eyed delight.  And that's exactly what happened. I became overwhelmed with life, and lost the happiness.  It is entirely possible to maintain both a responsible, efficient, academically successful life and still be true to the tea-party - throwing, feather-boa - wearing  princess inside.  I am working on this balance. 

For me, the breaking point was last night.  Thankfully, I am blessed with amazing friends who make me stop frantically spinning in circles and sit down and talk it out.  They are also the kind of friends who will sit there and watch "Teen Girl Squad" with me untill I've laughed my stress out.  Sometimes, you need to do that.  Spend a good 20 minutes reliving the memes of yesteryear.  It's like pomegranate tea for your soul.  Laughter may not be the best medicine, I mean, if you're missing an appendage or have a severe case of tuberculosis, than I'm pretty sure medical attention may be the best medicine.  However, laughter is the best anti-stresser.  I am also blessed with some insane roomies.   I’m convinced my roomies and my close friends here are soul mates, just without the physical attraction.  And they make my life fun.   :)

Pictured: anti-depressant 

Life is amazing! Look around!  There is so much to wonder at!  I just noticed a metal clock built into the side of SAC (for those of you who are Grovers) about the huge window facing HAL.  It's a small detail, but it's beautiful.  And the snow! Even if you're not a snow person, (well, none of us are. We're humans. But you get what I mean) you have to admit the snow makes everything look BEAUTIFUL.  It's like frosting from God!   Life is beautiful when your attitude is beautiful.   I know, my attitude is often ugly.  But you know what?  It's easy to change.  Sometimes God shaking up the snow globe that is this Earth is just enough to make it better.   So I challenge you.  Find something beautiful.  Dance in the snow.  Enjoy old internet references.  Eat a blueberry bagel. 

1 comment:

  1. There is no
    Life I know
    To compare with
    Pure imagination
    Living there
    You'll be free
    If you truly wish to be

    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it
    Anything you want to, do it
    Wanta change the world?
    There's nothing
    To it


    this post reminds me of that surprisingly inspirational song :)

    ReplyDelete